Where It All Began
Founded in 1949, Serigraph was started by Alfred F. Ramsthal when he quit his full-time job and launched his business out of his own garage. After successfully producing his first product, (glow-in-the-dark nursery characters) Ramsthal moved his printing operations from his small garage to a larger house. In 1955, Ramsthal obtained his first order for farming equipment decals with the Gehl Company and with the success of this account, Ramsthal was able to construct his very first manufacturing plant in West Bend, WI. The success of working with the Gehl Company afforded Ramsthal to purchase a letter press and lithographic operations. This opened the door to Ramsthal receiving his first plastic printing job making styrene clock dials for Sunbeam. From here, Serigraph launched as a major player into the printing business.
Over the last 70 years, Serigraph has expanded its growth and technologies. Our core business is in printing, but Serigraph is more than just a printing company. We have pioneered ink processes and have invested in high quality printing, die cutting, thermoforming and injection molding presses.
With a total of four plants in WI, Serigraph has become a leader in decorative graphics serving the appliance, automotive, consumer electronics, medical, industrial, powersports, and point of purchase markets. By providing innovative, eye-catching print effects, Serigraph enables companies to differentiate their brands and stand out at the point of decision.
When you work with us, you have a team of designers, engineers and fulfillment experts who care just as much about the success of your project as you do.
With sustainability goals in mind, Serigraph participates in the WI Green Masters Program, an objective certification program that provides organizations with the opportunity to measure progress as they work towards sustainability. In addition, Serigraph was one of the first Wisconsin companies and one of six in the state to participate in Green Tier II, which recognizes superior environmental performance. Serigraph is also ISO14001, IATF16949 and PCI Certified.
Business launches in Ramsthal’s garage. First product: glow-in-the-dark nursery characters.
1955 – 1959
- Large equipment manufacturer places 1st decal order
- New plant is constructed in West Bend, WI
- Serigraph purchases West Bend Pilot, launching letter press and lithographic operations, including financial printing
1969 – 1972
- First plastic print job – styrene clock dials for Sunbeam
- Clear plastic sub-surface jobs landed for Voice of Music and Whirlpool, using hot stamping and screen printing
- Constructed 2nd plant in Trenton, WI
1974 – 1979
- Serigraph wins first automotive graphics order
- Launched UV screen printing capability
- Installed first clean room
1982 – 1987
- Automotive business takes off with Delco as major customer
- Serigraph lands Point of Purchase advertising business with McDonald’s
- Installed first six-color Heidelberg press.
- Serigraph pioneer’s inter-station ultra-violet curing
- Company purchased by John Torinus
1989 – 1992
- 3rd manufacturing plant opens
- First web screen-printing presses purchased
- Serigraph enters heat transfer business with three-station web screen process
- 4th manufacturing plant constructed
1996 – 1999
- Serigraph is awarded ISO9001 and QS900 certifications
- New Corporate Headquarters built
- Decorating Technologies Institute established
- Serigraph receives the first ever WI Forward Award for Excellence
- Serigraph celebrates 50th Anniversary
2000 – 2004
- Serigraph becomes a global supplier
- Serilusion and Micromotion®, proprietary technologies, introduced
- Micromotion® wins the Best of Category: Graphics Excellence Award by PIW, for “Special Innovation”
- Original facility sold, and operations are consolidated into Corporate Headquarters
2006 – 2009
- Serigraph is awarded TS16949 certification
- Serigraph launches Lean program
- Sean Torinus takes over as CEO
- Serigraph awarded ISO14001 certification for environmental management
2011 – 2014
- Serigraph is awarded Green Tier level 2 by Wisconsin DNR and EPA
- Molding operations begin in West Bend
- Specialty Division pushes 360 POP package with ezPOP fulfillment and printing
- Durst digital press and Kongsberg digital die cutter installed
2015 – Present
- Serigraph installs HP11000 digital press
- 550-ton molding press installed
- Serigraph receives Ping Supplier of the Year award and Yamaha REVS award
- Advanced Vision Inspection System installed
- HP Latex digital press installed